Sunday, November 23, 2014

Mariel - Head Piece, El Mirage Dry Lake Bed, Los Angeles, California, 2012


My last visit to California yielded one photographic session outside of my planned schedule, three hours with the exquisite Mariel. While we had never met in person prior to this session, the creative chemistry between us was evident from our first encounter, just outside of her apartment. She came out carrying this incredible head piece, along with an elegant, dark dress… both specifically for our session.

We drove almost two hours just to get to El Mirage Dry Lake Bed, and talked continuously the entire time. Her life fascinated me, as well as her attraction to the people in my portfolio. She had done everything from magazine covers to short films to advertisements, yet wanted to be next to the girls in my photographic library, girls without access to any of the above. This I admired about her then, and continue to admire to this day.

We arrived to the dry lake bed and were treated to a most peaceful scene, with very few people around. This left us to do as we wished, and photograph without interruption. She allowed me to expose over three dozen medium format rolls, and all of which yielded images of incredible beauty.

In January of next year, I hope to be in California for a benefit hosted by DiviniTree Yoga and Arts Studio in honor of Nirvanavan Foundation. I will once again reach out to Mariel and hope that we can once again collaborate at El Mirage, and be honored with the presence of her sister Marita as well.

www.halimina.org

Note: This image was made with a Hasselblad 555 ELD/180 mm combination onto Fuji Neopan Acros 100 ISO film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment